Thursday, January 21, 2016

Nuggets of Gold


     You ever have that day when, you're reading your Bible, expecting something from the Lord, but not really anything BIG?

     That was me today.

     I'm not saying this to brag, but I'm attempting to read through my Bible this year. To help me stay on track, I'm also trying to journal one thing each day that the Lord teaches me from the passage. Some days are harder than others, and I'm only in Exodus! Leviticus and Numbers are yet to come...

     For each day, I write down, "Today I learned..." and proceed to record a small truth from the selection I just read.

     Well, today I read Exodus 13-15, a very interesting and full passage of Scripture. As I read, I wrote down something the Lord taught me right away, in the first 16 verses: "Today I learned that my children, though yet unborn, need to have their own faith walk. They can't rely on Mom and Dad's faith."

     This can be applied two ways. First, if you have children, you should be praying for them to have their own faith, not relying on yours to get them to Heaven. Second, if you don't have children, you can't get to Heaven riding on someone else's shirt tails! If you are saved, someone else can't read your Bible for you every morning, pray for you, and live the Christian life for you! You have to do it yourself!

     Another nugget of truth I found was in Exodus 13:21-22, where it says," And the Lord went before them by day in a pillar of a cloud, to lead them the way; and by night in a pillar of fire, to give them light; to go by day and night: He took not away the pillar of the cloud by day, nor the pillar of fire by night, from before the people."

     Wow. Those verses are just chock-full of promise, comfort, and peace! The same great God who guided the children of Israel in the wilderness, day and night, is the same God who wants to guide us through life's problems, if we will only trust Him. He's waiting for you to turn your life over to Him, so that He can "lead in the way of righteousness"! (Prov. 8:20)

     The next nugget was in chapter 14, verses 13-14, "And Moses said unto the people, Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord, which he will shew to you today: for the Egyptians whom ye have seen to day, ye shall see them again no more for ever. The Lord will fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace."

     Wow again! After reading those verses, I felt great confidence in my Captain. I felt that no foe could ever beat my God! The Lord of hosts is fighting for me; I need only be still and wait.

     The Lord kept showing me all that He is to me, continuing in chapter 15, verse 2a. Just in the beginning part of this verse, I found three things about God that helped me get through the day: "The LORD is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation:"

     Yet again, wow!! I love how awesome Scripture is! The Lord is my strength: when I feel like giving up, He keeps me going; He is my song: when I am downhearted, He cheers me up; He is my salvation: when I am depressed and discouraged, He reminds me that I'm on my way to heaven! Doesn't that just pump you up? Getcha going? If it doesn't, something's wrong with you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment